What is an example of a syntactically ambiguous sentence?
Here are some examples: The professor said on Monday he would give an exam. This sentence means either that it was on Monday that the professor told the class about the exam or that the exam would be given on Monday. The chicken is ready to eat.
What are some examples of ambiguous words?
Common Examples of Ambiguity
- The bark was painful. (Could mean a tree’s bark was rough or a dog’s bark communicated pain or hurt the listener’s ears).
- You should bring wine or beer and dessert. (Could mean that you must bring just wine, wine and dessert, or beer and dessert).
- Harry isn’t coming to the party.
What is structural ambiguity examples?
The other type, structural ambiguity, occurs when the meaning of the component words can be combined in more than one way (O’Grady et al. 1997), for example: Nicole saw the people with binoculars. The sentence can be grasped in two ways. One interpretation is that Nicole used binoculars to see the people.
What is temporary ambiguity?
Definition: Structural ambiguity that is present up until some point during the processing of a sentence but that is resolved by the end of the sentence (because, in fact, only one of the original parses is consistent with the entire sequence of words).
What is ambiguity and examples?
Ambiguity is when the meaning of a word, phrase, or sentence is uncertain. There could be more than one meaning. Examples of Ambiguity: Sarah gave a bath to her dog wearing a pink t-shirt.
What is a sentence for ambiguous?
Ambiguous sentence example. Her songs are intentionally ambiguous . The ending was more ambiguous , one in which the future of the world was in question. There are a number of specific issues left somewhat ambiguous in the document.
What is ambiguity explain with examples?
What is ambiguous sentence?
An ambiguous sentence has two or more possible meanings within a single sentence or sequence of words. This can confuse the reader and make the meaning of the sentence unclear.
How would you use ambiguity in a sentence?
Ambiguity sentence example. Their actions showed moral ambiguity . The ambiguity begins to disappear as more explanations are made. She chose her clothing carefully to avoid gender ambiguity .
How do you use morally ambiguous in a sentence?
Example sentences moral ambiguity
- Many political solutions are rife with moral ambiguity.
- The moral ambiguities of attritional warfare force us to ask whether World War I was worth it.
- He is happiest, he says, when unsure how to approach a role, or when the subject matter touches on moral ambiguity.
Which is an example of a syntactic ambiguity?
1. The old men and women stayed at home. The [old men] and [women] stayed at home. The [old [men and women]] stayed at home. 2. They fed her rat poison. 3. They saw the woman with the telescope. B. The following California jury instruction is claimed to be syntactically ambiguous.:
How do you show ambiguity in a sentence?
Show the ambiguity by bracketing the sentence in two different ways. The first example has been done for you. 1. The old men and women stayed at home. The [old men] and [women] stayed at home. The [old [men and women]] stayed at home. 2. They fed her rat poison. 3. They saw the woman with the telescope.
What’s the difference between lexical ambiguity and grammatical ambiguity?
Grammatical ambiguity is another term for it. Lexical ambiguity on the other hand happens when a single word in the sentence can have two or more meanings. You might be wondering how syntactic ambiguities can be distinguished from other regular sentences if you are listening to them.
How are speech cues used to decipher syntactic ambiguity?
Using Speech Cues to Decipher Syntactic Ambiguity. In “Cognitive Psychology,” authors M. Eysenck and M. Keane tell us that some syntactic ambiguity occurs at a “global level,” meaning entire sentences can be open to two or more possible interpretations, citing the sentence, “They are cooking apples,” as an example.